Friday, January 10, 2014

Arctic Animals...Brrrr!

This week we have learned about the Arctic. The kiddos have loved learning about the different animals that live in the Arctic while reading nonfiction texts! We also had our first opportunity to look at a globe...they were hooked! We learned what the equator is and how it relates to the Arctic being so cold. We learned some great vocabulary this week: hibernation, adaptation, camouflage, tundra, migrate. WOW! Feel free to practice those terms with your child because it is A LOT. I usually don't teach that many new "spicy" words in one week, but I felt they were so important with what we were discussing. We used fiction and nonfiction texts to learn about the arctic. MORE VOCABULARY. The kiddos are even writing their very own nonfiction books as we speak. Here's a sneak peak...


I loved Brandon's puffin!! 
Our week was pretty interrupted (I was also out sick one day) so we will finish up this unit next week. We will compare the Arctic and the Antarctic animals, and I look forward to showing you their animal sort they're going to make.


On another note, I have decided to change up our morning routine a bit. The kiddos used to come in and have some sort of practice worksheet to work on. The pages were good practice, but I felt we were not getting enough "free-choice" opportunities to write. During our writing workshop, I usually have a specific thing for them to work on so the kiddos needed some freedom!! Come on, Mrs. Clark! Now when they come in, they can free write on their marker boards or read from their reading bags. This is a great chance for them to "tell me" allllll of the wonderful things they like to share with me in the morning (wink), and they are practicing the many strategies we practice each day. Two birds, one stone! They have enjoyed this because they have another chance to earn a writing star. Five writing stars equals treasure box!! HOLY MOLY! 

I have the sweetest story I took a picture of this morning. It speaks for itself. The author was Austin J. Way to go, Austin! You'll be getting some extra ice cream this weekend. 



No comments:

Post a Comment