Friday, March 30, 2012

Guided Reading vs. Reading Level

I'm so excited about your child's progress in reading! I wanted to let you know the difference between their independent reading level and their GUIDED reading level. In reading groups, I give your child a book that is a little above their independent reading level. We introduce the book, discuss the characters, events, and talk about difficult vocabulary. We also set the purpose for reading. This allows them to read the story on their own! Their ind. reading level will be lower than their guided-reading level. Their reading level (on their report card) is the level that they can pick up (without guidance) and read (and comprehend) successfully. I hope that all makes sense :)  Here are some of the reading strategies that I teach during reading groups

Discuss these strategies with your child when listening to them read!

No comments:

Post a Comment