Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Problem Solving

Problem solving is a big part of my math instruction. I believe the kids can learn many skills through solving word problems. Our skill the past two weeks has been adding and subtracting to 5 and 10. My goal is for the kids to know these "number buddies" without even having to count. We also solve problems with different number sets. The students can draw a picture, use their fingers, count with manipulatives, or use any counting strategy they feel comfortable with. This week, we have played fluency games to practice the 5 and 10 math facts as well as problem solve using the number sets! By the way, I cannot take credit for most of the "cute" things I use in my classroom. I am a little obsessed with other teachers' blogs, and I find most of my ideas from them!! I also use pinterest to find a lot of great tips and ideas.

After working the problems in their math journals, I pick two students to share.

This is an example of our math journals. They have two number sets to work the same word problem.
                                        
                                             

                                      




We continue working on our math facts during centers. http://www.internet4classrooms.com/ is a WONDERFUL resource for fun educational games!

No comments:

Post a Comment